Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The New Microsoft Ads

As an Apple fan boy it is my duty to make sure that i keep tabs on everything that Microsoft and Apple do in their advertising. I absolutely hated the ads recently that had Seinfeld and Bill Gates being retarted in a shoe store. The new ads are somewhat better although if they are meant to counter Apple ads then I think that they missed their mark.

Sure you can argue success for the campaign simply because so many people are talking about it but here is my round up.

The Apple ads are successful because they are specific and point out flaws or stereotypes (for those of you still part of the dark side) with the competing product and then point out how the Apple product does it better. Easy to understand and has a purpose, ie our product is better than theirs.

The Microsoft ads really are just saying, all kinds of people use our Windows product, certainly a billion people cannot be wrong. Really? That is the best offense that you can muster up? Choose ours because lots of other people do? I think that is lame.

This is the ad that I think MS should have run. It might be a little more accurate...

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuZkQvQGIS8]

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So to start out I am definitely not a Mac supporter. However, I will say that mac's do have a purpose and a place in the market. I would even recommend mac's to certain people. For example, someone who doesn't know how to maintain a computer or knows little about computers should definitely get a mac. Mac's are very idiot proof, you can't mess that much up on them. However, this is the basis for why for some users Mac's basically stink. In order to make mac's hard to break, you have to lock a lot of stuff down. In other words Mac's have very little customizability (I think I just made that word up). I personally love using a PC, they are very customizable and you can basically do anything you want. Also I personally think Windows is more stable than Mac's OS. I say this based on personal experience, I have a windows Xp Pro machine I made 6 years ago and it has been running without a problem or crash or anything else for that whole time. When I was in college I unfortunately had to use a Mac for all my graphic design classes. Just in the few semesters of using these G5's I had them crash many times on me, the system just shutdown or program just bombs. Running the same programs (Adobe Creative Suite) on my PC I never had it bomb or lock up or anything else on me.

Also I know it gets brought up every time in these discussions is the virus issue. First off Macs CAN get viruses, it's just that no one programs viruses for macs. If you were going to make a virus would you want it to be effective for 10% of the population or 90% of the population? Also how many Mac's have vital information on them? And how many Windows server's are out there with vital credit card, social security, etc.. information? Do you think people who make viruses are really interested in stealing the movie you made in iMovie from your Mac? If Mac lovers got their way and everyone got a Mac there would be Mac viruses all over the place.

Another point to recognize is the amount of programs that are available to the PC. Just like a gaming system (ie Xbox 360, PS3, etc...) A system is only as good as the games/programs they make for it. The number of programs available to PC are almost infinitely more than the number of programs available to Mac's without having to emulate windows. For gamers Mac's aren't even an option. A great example of this is seen on this YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxPXFptzQRY

Personally, I think a great example of comparing Mac's to PC's is actually seen in the gaming systems. Xbox360 and PS3 are the equivalent of a PC, and the Wii is the equivalent of a Mac. Wii's aren't designed to have the same capabilities as a PS3 or Xbox360, they are designed to be fun. But if you were to try to compare the computing power and graphics power of a Wii to an Xbox360 or PS3 it isn't even a contest. This doesn't mean the Wii doesn't have a place in the market, it obviously does as can be seen by it's amazing sales. It appeals to a certain audience, as do Mac computers. However Wii's will never be Xbox360s or PS3s, and Mac's will never be PC's.