Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Freebie

So those of you (probably both of you who read this) who knew me in college may or may not remember the TV that I bought with Raj and Harvey my Senior year. It was a good deal on a 32" standard CRT at $300 and I bought them out at the end of the year when we all parted ways. Since that time I have moved that TV so many times that it is really ridiculous. Finally this past six months the set really started to lose it. The picture would randomly go to fuzz any time you changed the channel or switched the input (from cable to DVD for example).
Again those of you who know me even a little bit, know that I am a bit of a technophile. I am constantly reading about the latest in AV tech, computers and the like. I have a general handle on the right mix of brand, tech and price that I can afford. Unfortunately, with finances the way that they are, there are so many other things that we need to spend $2,000 on that are not a HDTV.
So for at least six months I have been keeping my eyes and ears open for any kind of deal that I could get on a big screen to fill the 60" wide gap in our built in entertainment center. Needless to say, I jumped at the chance for a 56" TV for our living room especially at the very reasonable price of absolutely free.
I will say a couple of things about it. First, it is not HD. Second it is a rear projection so it is really about 30" deep. Third, Master Chief is about 2'6" tall when I am fragging n00bs in Halo 3. So for right now I am pretty much in TV heaven. I replaced a crappy old TV that was too small for the space we have, the new TV works amazingly and although it lacks the features of a TV that I could have spend a ton of money on, I can sit back on my couch to play games and watch TV instead of four feet away and that is a moment that even Master Card could not bring to me.

No comments: